Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition shall stimulate public interest and support for the protection, preservation, development and enhancement of the historical, natural and recreational resources along the route of the Ohio & Erie Canal.
The OECC shall encourage local, regional and nationwide recognition of the Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area:
- Coordinating and representing the interests of the citizens, corporate community and government agencies in Summit, Stark and Tuscarawas counties.
- Working toward establishing a continuous physical link along or near the planned Canalway.
- Encouraging and assisting the development of compatible economic ventures throughout the Ohio & Erie Canalway.
- Developing strong working relationships with partners to preserve and interpret the natural, recreational and historic resources throughout the Canalway.
- Incorporating the needs of the local community into the Canalway plan through meetings with government and business leaders to enhance the quality of life along the Canalway.
- Promoting and developing educational programs which interpret the natural, historical and recreational resources along the Canalway.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion on Trails
Drafted summer 2020
We remain committed to creating accessible and equitable parks, trails and public spaces for all people, regardless of race, gender, income, sexual orientation and gender identity, education and experience.
Like many of you, we are deeply saddened and outraged by the continued violence toward our black brothers and sisters, family and friends. We mourn the losses of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Tamir Rice and countless others subjected to injustice, and we acknowledge our responsibility to challenge and end systemic racism. These recent events have hardened our resolve to double-down on our commitment that access to and safety in public spaces for everyone is a right, not a privilege. However, words are meaningless without action and we are using this moment to focus on the following actions:
Develop and implement a diversity, equity and inclusion policy within our organization.
With the input of residents and support of elected officials, corporations and organizations, proactively address issues of equity in our parks, trails and open spaces, and reverse the legacy of “things being done to and not with our communities.”
Elevate this issue within our organization by incorporating diversity, equity and inclusion within our Governance Committee and Strategic Plan.
Our Board will work to be more diverse and increase our efforts to build a diverse board that represents the communities we serve.
We humbly seek an attitude of understanding while listening and serving our communities and partners throughout the Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area. We shall hold ourselves accountable to these actions and invite our partners, members and funders to hold us accountable as well.